THE WINTER by Emiliano Torres (2016)
After years of working on an ‘estancia’ (an argentine rural property) in Patagonia, the Old Foreman is forced to retire and a younger man takes his place. The change is difficult and challenging for both men. Each one must survive the oncoming winter.
• Condor de Plata Awards, Best First Feature Film – Argentina / 2017.
• Association of Cinematographers Award – Graba Festival Audiovisual – Mendoza, Argentina / 2017.
• DAC Award – Graba Festival Audiovisual – Mendoza, Argentina / 2017.
• Balance de Oro Award – SIGNIS Award – EGEDA Award – INCAA TV Award – Argentores Award – Pantalla Pinamar / 2017.
• Winner of the Grand Jury Prize – Ibero-American Competition – Seattle International Film Festival / 2017
• Best Feature Film – International Film Festival & Awards Macao / 2016.
• Coral for Best First Feature Film – 38º Havana Film Festival of New Latin American Cinema / 2016.
• Prize of the French Union of Film Critics – 26º Festival Biarritz Amérique Latine / 2016.
• Award – Best Actor, Alejandro Sievekling – 26º Festival Biarritz Amérique Latine / 2016.
• Jury Prize for Best Cinematography – 64th edition of the San Sebastián International Film Festival / 2016.
• Special Jury Prize – 64th edition of the San Sebastián International Film Festival / 2016.
AWARDS AND CONTENT
• Winner of ‘Cinéma en Construction Toulouse’ prix, Cinélatino Recontres de Toulouse 2016.
• Winner of ‘Ciné +’ prix, Cinélatino Recontres de Toulouse 2016.
• ‘Best Project’ winner,awarded at the ‘Festival Internacional de Cine de Cartagena de Indias’, Colombia, 2014.
• Participant in the Marché du Film del Festival de Cannes – Francia 2014.
• ‘New Art Prize’ winner, awarded at the ‘X Ibero-American Film Co- production Meeting, 29th International Film Festival’, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2014.
• Winner of First Fiction Feature Film Contest (Opera Prima) by Argentine National Film Institute (INCAA), Argentina, 2014.
• Selected for the ‘X Ibero-American Film Co-production Meeting, 29th International Film Festival’, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2014.
• Winner of the ‘Best Latin American Original Script Award, 2013’, Argentores, General Society of Authors of Argentina.
• Selected to taken part in the ‘Script and Development Lab-Industry’ at the 35th New Latin American Film Festival, Habana, Cuba, 2013.
• Winner of ‘Raymundo Gleyzer-INCAA, Argentine National Film Institute, Award’, Buenos Aires, 2013.
• Pre-selected by Argentine National Film Institute (INCAA), for the ‘2013 Scriptwriting Lab’, Oaxaca, Mexico, 2013.
• Finalist for ‘Original Script Award at 34th New Latin American Film Festival’ Havana, Cuba, 2012.
• This project has taken part in the ‘Film Project Development Course, Ibermedia Program’, Madrid, Spain 2012.
DIRECTOR - EMILIANO TORRES
Born in Buenos Aires, 1971. In 1991 he graduated from the F.U.C Film University of Buenos Aires and completed his degree in filmmaking, oriented towards directing. His generation was the first to graduate from this institution. During his time there he made short films such as: ‘The Episode’ (1992) and ‘Far’ (1994). In 1996, together with fellow graduates, he joined the directing crew in the feature film ‘Moebius’, the 1st film produced by F.U.C.
He has written three screenplays, two in collaboration with Daniel Burman, with whom he was nominated for the ‘Condor de Plata’ Award for ‘Waiting for the Messiah’.
Since 1996 he has been working as assistant director in many national and international films shot in South America and in Europe. In the last years he has worked with European film directors such as Marco Bechis, Iciar Bollain, Miguel Courtois and Emanuele Crialese.